About Port Douglas
Port Douglas is a town in Far North Queensland, Australia. Located approximately 70 kilometres north of Cairns and is famous for its tropical climate, beautiful beaches, and lush rainforests.
Port Douglas is a popular tourist destination and attracts visitors from all over the world. All visitors enjoy warm weather, water sports, and outdoor activities.
One of the main attractions in Port Douglas is the Great Barrier Reef, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the world’s most diverse marine ecosystems. Visitors can take a boat tour or go snorkelling or diving to see the coral reefs and colourful fish up close.
In addition to its natural beauty, is also known for its vibrant arts scene, with several galleries and boutiques showcasing the work of local artists. The town is also home to various restaurants, cafes, and bars, offering a range of cuisine and drinks for visitors to enjoy.
Other popular activities in Port Douglas include fishing, kayaking, horse riding, and scenic walks in the rainforest. With its warm weather and breathtaking scenery, Port Douglas is a must-visit destination for anyone looking for a tropical getaway.
Port Douglas, Australia, is located between the World Heritage-listed Daintree Rainforest and one of the greatest natural wonders, the Great Barrier Reef. The ideal holiday destination for people who love our tropical lifestyle.
Where is Port Douglas
Port Douglas is north of Cairns, with a driving time of One hour north of Cairns. Visitors always enjoy the upmarket natural beauty and tourist attractions.
Port Douglas, Australia, dubbed the playground to celebrities.
It was ranked number 3 on the Australian Traveller Magazine’s list of the 100 best towns in Australia.
Shopping and Eating
Shopping and eating in Port Douglas’ village-like setting are second to none.
Macrossan Street, the town’s main thoroughfare, has a great selection of retail from high-end fashion, art galleries, homeware and gift shops. More tourist-like shops at Marina Mirage by the harbour.
Choose from 60 eateries that offer the freshest possible seafood and wines from a tropical fruit native to the area.
From favourite local dishes to Asian and Mediterranean fare, chefs can please the palate of even the most discriminating diner.
The Salsa Bar and Grill is a favourite restaurant for tourists and locals.
Best things to do in Port Douglas
Port Douglas is a beautiful coastal town in the Far North of Queensland, Australia. It’s known for its stunning natural beauty, vibrant coral reefs, and relaxed tropical lifestyle. Here are some of the best things to do in Port Douglas:
- Visit the Great Barrier Reef. Take a snorkelling or diving trip to the Great Barrier Reef, one of the world’s most famous natural wonders and a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Explore the Daintree Rainforest. The Daintree Rainforest is one of the world’s oldest and most diverse rainforests and is home to an incredible array of wildlife and plants.
- Visit Four Mile Beach. – Relax on this stunning four-mile-long beach, with crystal clear waters and pristine sands.
- Stroll around the Port Douglas Marina. – Take a stroll around the marina to see the colourful boats and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.
- Shop and dine in Macrossan Street. Macrossan Street is the main street in Port Douglas and is home to various shops, cafes, and restaurants.
- Take a scenic drive to the Mossman Gorge. Take a scenic drive to the Mossman Gorge, a stunning tropical rainforest home to crystal-clear streams, waterfalls, and lush vegetation.
- Visit the Wildlife Habitat Port Douglas. – Get up close and personal with Australia’s native wildlife, including kangaroos, koalas, and parrots, at the Wildlife Habitat Port Douglas.
- Take a sunset sail. Enjoy a romantic sail on a catamaran along the coast, with a delicious dinner and drinks.
These are just some of the many wonderful things to do in Port Douglas. We look forward to welcoming you to a truly unique and beautiful part of the world.
There are so many must-dos and must-sees in Port Douglas. It can be challenging to know where to begin.
A good start would be a stroll across the sugary-white sand of Port Douglas’ world-famous 4 Mile Beach.
After that, discover why Port Douglas is the perfect place to find the incredible and diverse marine life that inhabits Australia’s Great Barrier Reef.
Two celebrations draw tourists to Port Douglas by droves, sometimes doubling the small town’s population.
First is Carnivale, which begins in May with a parade and ten days of delicious food, wine, art, and entertainment.
Second is Porttoberfest, Port Douglas’ beer festival fast becoming a tourist favourite.
Port Douglas offers something for everyone. Add Port Douglas to your bucket list. Visit our sister site, visitportdouglas.com.au, to find out more.
The best way to get to Port Douglas is to fly to Cairns Airport and then drive north to Port Douglas.
Next, find the best things to do in Port Douglas.