Rainforest Night Tour
This Rainforest Night Tour takes you on a journey through the Atherton Tablelands rainforest as it comes alive at night. With a small group and an excellent guide, you will experience this unique wildlife environment that few others get the chance to see.
To experience the sights and sounds of the rainforest at night is truly something special.
About this Atherton Tablelands tour
About 80% of Australia’s wildlife is more active from dusk to nighttime. This tour starts in the early afternoon, and while we are in the dark, we use spotlights to capture our unique animals up in the rainforest canopy.
Your informative guide will show you some of the world’s most unusual animals. Some of which include the mysterious platypus, tree kangaroos, possums, gliders, bats, bandicoots, echidnas, snakes, frogs and many others.
On the Rainforest Night Tour, you will also learn all about the tropical rainforest and how local Aboriginal tribes use the vegetation to make tools and heal and make remedies.
Small Group size
Personal and professional Guides
Platypus spotting at Sunset
800 year old Cathedral Fig Tree
Curtain Fig Tree
Please note that Itineraries can be subject to change due to weather/road conditions
- Bus pickups commence in Cairns at 2.00 pm
- Firstly, we will head to the southern suburbs of cairns to check out a large mob of Agile Wallabies.
- Enjoy a scenic drive up the Gillies Range. You are climbing up to 800 metres above sea level, on one of the country’s windiest roads.
- During the drive, we will visit the Danbulla State Forest, we observe the large Cathedral Fig Tree. An 800-year-old giant of the rainforest.
- After all our adventures we will enjoy afternoon tea at Lake Barrine. Amid the lush rainforest sits this incredible volcanic crater lake. Take a walk to view the towering Bull Kauri Pines along with some wildlife spotting. Here, we have spotted Boyde’s Forest Dragons, the Musky Rat Kangaroo, and many rainforest birds. Depending on the season, we may sample some rainforest fruits.
- Next, we will head to Lake Eacham to look for Saw Shelled Turtles, Archerfish and Eastern Water Dragons.
- We then visit our private access viewing area to witness an active breeding pair of Platypus (April-October).
- Now that the evening has arrived, we will enjoy dinner at a lovely country restaurant in Yungaburra. Of course, Coffee and tea will be provided, but any other drinks will be at your own expense.
- As soon as the sun has set, we will grab our spotlights and venture back into the forest. The Curtain Fig Tree park is a hive of activity with many species calling it home.
- In time, we will commence our journey back to Cairns. On clear nights you can enjoy stargazing at the Southern Cross and Milky Way.
- Finally it is time to return home, where the Rainforest Night Tour comes to an end at your accommodation at around 10 pm.
Included in your Rainforest Night Tour
- Comfortable air-conditioned vehicles
- Small groups
- Pick up from accommodation
- National Park Fees
- Afternoon tea, dinner and refreshments
- Binoculars, rain ponchos, torches and reference materials.
Port Douglas Return transfers are available at an extra cost ($100 per booking).
Don’t forget your camera!
- Hat and sunglasses
- Good walking shoes
- Water bottle
- Day pack for personal items
Courtesy pick-up and drop-off to your Cairns Accommodation is included. On the other hand, if you would like to meet at another location, please chat with our friendly team to discuss the available options.
Pick ups commence from Port Douglas at 12:15, Northern Beaches 13:00, Cairns 13:30. Please note that this tour runs with a minimum of 2 people.
Please advise of any dietary requirements at the time of booking.
As Cairns & Atherton have tropical climates, for this reason, itineraries may change without notice due to weather and/or road conditions.
In any event, we recommend reconfirming your tour 48 hours prior to departure.