Cairns Aquarium is fun for all the family.
Welcome to Cairns Aquarium, an underwater world of wonder and adventure! Located in the heart of the tropical city of Cairns, this state-of-the-art aquarium is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in marine life and the natural world.
As you go through the aquarium’s exhibits, you’ll face a stunning array of aquatic creatures from the Great Barrier Reef and beyond. You’ll see colourful fish, majestic sharks, graceful rays, and even giant sea turtles.
One of the highlights of Cairns Aquarium is the Oceanarium, a massive tank that houses over 15,000 marine animals. Visitors can watch as schools of fish swim by and massive sharks glide overhead. It’s an unforgettable experience that will leave you in awe of the natural world.
In addition to the exhibits, Cairns Aquarium offers various interactive experiences for visitors of all ages. You can feed the fish, go on a behind-the-scenes tour, or even take a guided dive in the Oceanarium.
Cairns Aquarium is also committed to conservation and education. The aquarium’s exhibits and programs are designed to raise awareness about protecting our oceans and the creatures that call them home.
So whether you’re a marine life enthusiast or just looking for a fun day out with the family, Cairns Aquarium has something for everyone. Come and explore the wonders of the underwater world and leave with a newfound appreciation for the natural world around us.
When is the Cairns Aquarium open?
Cairns Aquarium is open every day of the year except for Christmas Day, making it a convenient and accessible destination for visitors to the tropical city of Cairns.
The aquarium’s opening hours are from 9am to 5pm, with last entry at 4pm. This gives visitors ample time to explore the exhibits and participate in the interactive experiences.
If you’re planning a visit to Cairns Aquarium, it’s always a good idea to check the website for any special events or programs that may be on offer. The aquarium regularly hosts workshops, talks, and other educational activities perfect for anyone interested in learning more about marine life and conservation.
Cairns Aquarium is located in the city’s heart, making it easy to access by foot, bike, or public transport.
So why not plan a visit to Cairns Aquarium and immerse yourself in the wonders of the underwater world? With so much to see and do, it’s sure to be a memorable experience for visitors of all ages.
North Queensland Habitats
- Creeks and Streams include brightly coloured crayfish and giant prawns.
- Tropical Rainforest this section is where you will find lizards, snakes and frogs.
- Life in the Mangroves provides a safe environment for young Reef fish, crabs, and crocodiles.
- The Great Barrier Reef is a kaleidoscope of brightly coloured Reef fish and corals.
- River Systems this display includes gudgeon, catfish and freshwater stonefish.
- The Coral Sea is home to sharks, coral trout and trevally.
- Waterways and Billabongs in this exhibit see giant barramundi and mangrove jacks.
- Forest Floor here is where you will find the insects and spiders.
During your visit, there are fun and informative presentations to enjoy.
For an additional cost, you can experience the exciting virtual submarine! A journey into the mysterious depths of an underwater world.
There is more to see when you take the VIP behind the Scenes tour.
Cairns Aquarium VIP tour
Discover over 16,000 creatures from the coral Reef and rainforest. Immerse yourself in the five unique habitats.
After this great introduction at the Cairns Aquarium, head to the Great Barrier Reef to see it all up close and personal!
Lunch or Dinner at the Aquarium
Additionally, you can enjoy a delicious lunch or dinner at Dundee’s Restaurant while visiting the Cairns Aquarium.
Next, enjoy dinner at the Aquarium, and watch the fish put on a show. Make sure you make a reservation for the best seats.
Dundee’s cafe at the Aquarium for morning and afternoon tea
Dundee’s Cafe at the Aquarium has a delicious menu of coffee and dessert.
Host your next event at the Cairns Aquarium. This exciting venue can also cater for birthdays, weddings and cocktail parties.
Stop by the gift store for local quality gifts and handcrafted goods or souvenirs.
Head out to see the Great Barrier Reef
Next, see more Cairns Attractions
Cairns Aquarium features Flooded Billabongs
Home to Freshwater Sawfish, the iconic Barramundi, and Whiptail Ray.
A rainforest inside an Aquarium?! Spot tropical snakes, Emerald tree Monitors, and Frogs.
Learn about the fascinating biodiversity of the mangrove habitat. Keep an eye out for baby crocodiles while walking along the boardwalk!
Great Barrier Reef
Next, take in the sheer expanse and beauty of Australia’s only 10-metre deep reef tank!
Then discover the 20 metre Underwater Viewing Tunnel. They feature a 360° view Oceanarium.
Cairns Aquarium Presentation Times
- Noon Stat your day in the Ocean Room for the Shark and Ray Feeding presentation
- 13:00 Next, visit the River Monsters Amphitheater for the River Monsters Presentation
- 14:00 Then see the Deep Reef Amphitheatre for the Denizens Of The Deep presentation.
- ALL DAY Marine Touch Tank, Level 1.
Cairns Aquarium by Twilight
- 15:45 Arrive at Cairns Aquarium – time to choose your Drink, main and dessert
- 16:00 Net takes the Ecologist guided twilight tour
- 17:30 Drink and canapes served in the Oceanarium
- 18:00 – 19:30 After enjoy dinner and dessert at Dundee’s Restaurant
- Upgrade and enjoy a delicious 2-course lunch (main meal with a choice of a soft drink OR dessert) at the famous Dundees Restaurant. (NOT available Monday or Tuesday)
- Coffee, morning and afternoon tea are all available at Dundees Restaurant (NOT open Monday or Tuesday)
The Cairns Aquarium is located right in Cairns’ centre on Abbott Street and Florence Streets. Opposite the Cairns Tour Booking Centre.
There are no reviews yet