Cairns Aquarium fun for all the family.
While you are in Cairns a visit, the Cairns Aquarium is a must-do. Home to sixteen thousand animals. There are exclusive North Queensland habitats to experience animals that live in this region. Open Monday to Saturday from 10 am to 3 pm – with the last admission at 2 pm.
This is an excellent option for a half-day tour, and it is also educational.
This Aquarium is dedicated to the species and habitats of the North Queensland region. Meet all kinds of wonderful creatures to meet, including lizards, snakes and sea stars.
Wander through the many different habitats at your own pace, exploring the different regions. Also, there is plenty of friendly staff to answer any questions you may have along the way.
North Queensland Habitats
- Creeks and Streams include brightly coloured crayfish and giant prawns.
- Tropical Rainforest this section is where you will find lizard, snakes and frogs.
- Life in the Mangroves this area provides a safe environment for young reef fish as well as crabs and crocodiles.
- Great Barrier Reef a kaleidoscope of brightly coloured reef fish and corals.
- River Systems – including gudgeon, catfish and freshwater stonefish.
- Coral Sea home to sharks, coral trout and trevally.
- Waterways and Billabongs in this exhibit see giant barramundi and mangrove jacks.
- Forest Floor here is where you will find the insects and spiders.
During your visit, there are fun and informative presentations for you to take part in.
For an additional cost you can experience the exciting virtual submarine! A journey into the mysterious depths of an underwater world.
There is, even more, to see when you take the VIP behind The Scenes Tour.
Cairns Aquarium VIP Tour
Discover over 16,000 creatures from the coral reef and also the rainforest. Immerse yourself in the five unique habitats which are on display.
After this great introduction at the Cairns Aquarium, head out to the Great Barrier Reef to see it all up close and personal!
Lunch or Dinner at the Aquarium
Additionally you can enjoy a delicious lunch or dinner at Dundee’s Restaurant during your visit to the Cairns Aquarium.
Next, enjoy a delicious dinner next to the Aquarium’s 70,000-litre big tank, and watch the fish put on a show. Make sure you make a reservation for the best seats.
Dundee’s cafe at the Aquarium for morning and afternoon tea
Dundee’s Cafe at the Aquarium has a delicious menu for coffee and dessert for you to enjoy during your visit.
Host your next event at the Cairns Aquarium. This exciting venue can also cater for birthdays, weddings and cocktail parties.
Stop by the gift store to find a local quality gift and handcrafted goods or souvenir of your time at the Cairns Aquarium.
Home to our Freshwater Sawfish, the iconic Barramundi, and Whiptail Ray.
A rainforest inside an Aquarium?! Spot our Tropical Snakes, Emerald tree Monitors and Frogs living amongst the jungle.
Learn about the fascinating biodiversity of the mangrove habitat. Find baby crocs while you stroll along the boardwalk!
Great Barrier Reef
Take in the sheer expanse and beauty of Australia’s only 10-metre deep Reef Tank!
Immerse yourself in the 20 metre Underwater Viewing Tunnel. Featuring a 360° view Oceanarium.
- 12:00 Shark and Ray Feeding presentation. Held in the Ocean Room.
- 13:00 River Monsters presentation are held in the River Monsters Amphitheater.
- 14:00 Denizens Of The Deep presentation are in the Deep Reef Amphitheater.
- ALL DAY Marine Touch Tank, Level 1.
Aquarium by Twilight
- 15:45 Arrive at Cairns Aquarium – time to choose your drink, main and dessert
- 16:00 Ecologist guided twilight tour
- 17:30 Drink and canapes served in the Oceanarium
- 18:00 – 19:30 dinner and dessert at Dundee’s Restaurant
Enjoy a meal at Dundee’s Restaurant.
- Upgrade and include a 2-course lunch (main meal with a choice of a soft drink OR dessert) at the famous Dundees Restaurant. (NOT available Monday or Tuesday)
- Coffee, morning or afternoon tea are all available at Dundees Restaurant (NOT available Monday or Tuesday)
The Cairns Aquarium is located on the corner of Abbott Street and Florence Streets, Cairns city.