Skyrail Cairns gives you a truly unique perspective of the rainforest. As you glide above the pristine canopy, your view is completely unrestricted.
It is the most environmentally sensitive way to visit the rainforest!
Discover an ancient rainforest
You will be able to immerse yourself in the sights, sounds, smells and tranquillity of the oldest rainforest on the planet. Daintree Wet Tropics rainforest remains unchanged for over 130 million years and is, therefore, one of the most botanically fascinating.
Red Peak Station provides a beautiful walk along a boardwalk through the rainforest. Allow about 20 minutes and encounter lush ferns, palms, butterflies birds and giant rainforest trees.
After that, stop at Barron Falls Station, which provides a spectacular view of the famous Barron River Waterfall. Explore the rugged beauty and learn about the pioneering history in the Historical Precinct. Then test your nerves and walk the glass boardwalk of The Edge lookout.
Meanwhile, make sure you download the Skyrail app to your phone before departing. As a result, you will have access to expert commentary as you glide through the canopy.
Perfect for those staying on the Atherton Tablelands. It is a self-drive option, departing from Kuranda.
Other things to do in Kuranda
The best thing about the Skyrail?
- Stunning Rainforest views
- Iconic Skyrail Cableway
- Barron Falls
- Barron Gorge National Park
- Kuranda Village
- A one way Skyrail experience will take approximately 90 minutes to complete. If you are joining the return service please allow at least 2 1/2 hours.
- Arrive 15 minutes before departure at either Smithfield or Kuranda terminals
- Barron Falls station will provide you with an amazing view of the Barron Falls
- Take a complimentary guided boardwalk tour and find out about our unique ecosystem.
- Learn more at the Rainforest Interpretation Centre.
- Red Peak Station is 545 metres above sea level. Our 175-metre boardwalk provides the opportunity to explore the rainforest from ground level.
- When approaching the first station – Red Peak, your gondola will descend through the canopy layers and take you deep into the forest.
Have an even better experience!
For an amazing experience, upgrade to our unique glass floor gondola. These gondolas allow our guests an uninterrupted view of the treetops and the forest floor below. Diamond view gondolas carry a maximum of 5 passengers. Departures from the stations are roughly every 7 minutes.
- COVID 19 – Skyrail Rainforest Cableway will send a health questionnaire email to you the day prior to travel.
This must be completed prior to travel. If any guest does not meet the pre-screening requirements, travel may not be permitted.
- Gondolas depart constantly throughout the day. Bookings are made in 15-minute intervals.
The first departure is at 9:30am. The last round trip experience departs at 2:15pm from Smithfield or Kuranda. The last one-way experience departs Kuranda at 3:15pm.
Please let us know your desired departure and return times. Keep in mind, including the 2 stops along the way, a one-way journey will take approx 1.5 hours.