Cairns Family holiday
Cairns is the Crown jewel of Tropical North Queensland, Australia.
This one-of-a-kind tropical paradise is the gateway to two of the most unique and precious places on earth, the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest.
The dilemma of taking a holiday in one of the most popular destinations in Australia is too many options and not enough time.
It’s impossible to see everything in one short stay. So, here is a list of sights and activities that will make your Cairns family holiday especially memorable for the whole family.
A family vacation isn’t just for rest and recreation.
Travel inspires kids to learn and broaden their horizons.
Of course, money is a factor, but whatever your budget, Cairns gives you the best options for the price, and your family will have the time of their lives.
Here is our Top Ten things for families to do in Cairns
- Visit the Great Barrier Reef: Take a family-friendly snorkeling or diving tour to see the colorful coral and marine life.
- Visit Kuranda: Take the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway and Scenic Railway to explore the rainforest, or visit the Kuranda Koala Gardens and Birdworld for a close encounter with wildlife.
- Go on a Daintree Rainforest Tour: Explore the world’s oldest tropical rainforest and discover the unique flora and fauna of the region.
- Visit the Cairns Esplanade: Enjoy a swim in the lagoon, have a picnic, or simply stroll along the scenic foreshore.
- Visit Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park: Learn about the indigenous culture of the region through interactive exhibits and live performances.
- Take a hot air balloon ride: Experience the beauty of the region from the sky.
- Visit Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures: Get up close with crocodiles, wallabies, and other Australian wildlife.
- Visit the Cairns Tropical Zoo: See the diverse range of animals, including big cats, koalas, and kangaroos.
- Go on a fishing trip: Take a family fishing trip to catch your own dinner.
- Take a scenic drive: Explore the Atherton Tablelands and discover the beautiful waterfalls, lush rainforests, and charming villages.
The Great Barrier Reef
It is always great when an educational experience can be disguised as fun.
There is nowhere else learning can be as fun as out on the Great Barrier Reef.
One trip on a glass-bottom boat will take them up close and personal to one of the world’s great wonders.
The Daintree Rainforest
The same can be said for the most ancient Daintree Rainforest still in existence and home to the largest variety of animals, plants and birds.
Teach your children the importance of preserving one of Australia’s most valuable places.
Even the smallest children will wonder as they look above and take in the 1,100-year-old twin Bull Kauri.
The Esplanade is where kids can play in a 4,800 square metre saltwater lagoon.
Or take the tiny tots to Muddy’s, where the fun of splashing in water up to their ankles can last for hours, giving parents a much-needed break.
These are just a few attractions that make the Esplanade a must-see and must-do for families.
Read more about the Cairns Esplanade.
Take the kids fishing with all the rivers and estuaries in and around Cairns.
Even if you have no experience, fishing charters in Tropical North Queensland are full of knowledgeable and friendly crews that will help you and your children set up rods and hooks.
Places like Fetta’s and Cafe China have a huge variety of delicious food that cater to large groups.
If your kids are all about burgers and fries, try Grill’d on The Esplanade.
Use one of the 12 barbeques around the Lagoon, and grill your own.
Choose from more than 22 family-friendly accommodation houses in and around Cairns.
You can set your family in the lap of luxury with breakfast buffets and stunning views of Cairns.
Or, for those on a budget, many reasonably priced hotels offer a great family vibe.