Where is Cairns?
Cairns is a city located in the far north of Queensland, Australia. It is situated on the east coast of the country, about 1,700 km (1,056 miles) north of Brisbane, the capital of Queensland. Surrounded by the World Heritage-listed Great Barrier Reef, Daintree Rainforest, and Atherton Tablelands, making it a popular tourist destination for nature lovers and adventure seekers.
Where is Cairns?
Cairns is in Far North Queensland in Australia, along the east coast.
- Sydney to Cairns is 2419 kilometres, With a flying time of three hours and 5 minutes.
- Brisbane to Cairns is 1702 kilometres, With a flying time of two hours and twenty-five minutes.
- Melbourne to Cairns is 2943 kilometres, with a flying time of three hours and twenty minutes.
- Adelaide to Cairns is 2,969.5 kilometres, with three hours of flying time.
- Darwin to Cairns is 2,675.8 kilometres, with two hours and twenty-five minutes flying times.
- Perth to Cairns is 4,736.5 kilometres, with a flying time of four hours and ten minutes.
What time is it in Cairns?
Time in this region operates in Australian Eastern Standard time UTC+10.
- East, we have the World Heritage Great Barrier Reef.
- West is the Atherton Tablelands and Chillegoe Caves.
- South is Mission Beach and the Whitsunday Islands.
- Port Douglas, World Heritage Daintree Rainforest, and Cape York are north of Cairns.
Cairns is a coastal city located far north of Queensland, Australia. It is known for its tropical climate, beautiful beaches, and proximity to the World Heritage-listed Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest. Cairns is a popular tourist destination, attracting visitors worldwide for its natural beauty, adventure tourism, and vibrant cultural scene.
The city offers a variety of attractions and activities, including scenic walks and hikes, water sports, cultural and historical tours, and dining and entertainment options. Some famous sights include the Cairns Esplanade, the Cairns Botanic Gardens, and the Cairns Marina. The city also has a bustling nightlife scene, with various bars, clubs, and live music venues.
Cairns is accessible by air, with a busy international airport, and is also a popular starting point for road trips to explore the nearby natural attractions.
The city of Cairns is about 5 kilometres square; the town is flat and easy to walk around, be sure that you take drinking water with you as our climate is always warm to hot.
Elevation between 0 and 1,314 metres with a population of approximately 150,000
It covers an area of 488.1-kilometre squares—the 5th most populated city in Australia.
What’s Cairns famous for?
Cairns is a modern, tropical city. It’s the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest. The beautiful Atherton Tablelands are west of Cairns, and Fitzroy Island and Green Island are east of Cairns.
The Great Barrier Reef is the largest living thing and is home to 1500 species of fish and over 400 species of coral.
While the Daintree Rainforest is the oldest tropical rainforest on earth. Home to over 3000 species of plants, this region is 1,200 square kilometres.
How to get to Cairns?
Fly from Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Darwin and Perth to Cairns Airport.
Jetstar operates international flights from Tokyo, Osaka and Bali
- Fly to Singapore with Silk Airlines.
- Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, operated by Air Niugini and Qantas Airlines.
- New Zealand, operated by Air New Zealand
- Shenzen in China by Hainan Airlines.
Travel by Train
Cairns is the final station of the Queensland North Coast Railway line, which follows the Eastern Seaboard from Brisbane, including the high-speed train ‘The Tilt Train.’
Travel by bus
Greyhound Oz Experience passes are available so you can get on and off and explore all the vast regions of Australia.
Hire a campervan
Also, a great option and will offer great flexibility to get you around and allow you to discover Queensland at your own pace.
While you are here, there are so many beautiful places along the way to explore.
Whichever way you choose to arrive, we can assist you in getting here and all the fun things to see and do while you are here.
Here are our Top Ten things to do
Cairns is a popular tourist destination in Australia, offering visitors various attractions and activities. Here are ten of the top things to do:
- Explore the Great Barrier Reef: Take a snorkelling or diving tour to see the vibrant coral and marine life.
- Visit the Daintree Rainforest: Take a guided tour to learn about the unique flora and fauna of the world’s oldest rainforest.
- Walk along the Cairns Esplanade: Enjoy the scenic boardwalk and dip in the
- Visit the Kuranda Scenic Railway: Take a scenic train journey through the rainforest to the charming village of Kuranda.
- Explore the Atherton Tablelands: Drive through this scenic region’s rolling hills and lush farmland.
- Visit the Cairns Botanic Gardens: See tropical plants, a butterfly sanctuary, and a Japanese garden.
- Try whitewater rafting on the Tully or Barron Rivers: Take on the rapids for an adrenaline-fueled adventure.
- Take a scenic helicopter flight: Get a bird’s-eye view of the Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest.
- Enjoy the nightlife scene: Sample local cuisine, listen to live music and drink at one of the many bars and clubs.
- Visit the Cairns Museum: Learn about the city’s history and cultural heritage at this local museum.
No matter your interests, you’ll find plenty of ways to stay entertained and engaged in this vibrant tropical city.
Would you like information? Click on our live chat, call our office on 07 4037 2700 or chat.